Chicken breasts are a great option on a low carb diet — they are packed with protein and contain zero carbs. On the other hand, chicken can be bland if not seasoned well and dry and tough if not cooked properly. This Low Carb Monterey Chicken takes boring chicken breasts to a new level with an explosion of flavor. A few simple ingredients and a skillet are all you need for an easy week-night meal.
For this Low Carb Monterey Chicken recipe, use either thin-cut chicken breasts or butterfly regular breasts for even cooking. I used G. Hughes’ Smokehouse Sugar-Free Hickory BBQ sauce in this dish, but feel free substitute your favorite brand or flavor.
Check out the Low Carb & Tasty Recipe Index for more great recipes!
Low Carb Monterey Chicken
- 2 tbsp butter
- 1 tbsp olive oil
- 1 lb chicken breasts thin cut or butterflied
- ¼ tsp salt to taste
- ¼ tsp pepper to taste
- ½ tsp garlic powder
- ⅓ cup sugar-free BBQ sauce
- 4 slices bacon cooked and chopped
- ½ cup Monterey Jack cheese shredded
- ½ cup Cheddar cheese shredded
- Season chicken with salt, pepper and garlic powder.
- Heat an oven-safe skillet over medium-high heat. Add oil and butter.
- Sear chicken for 4 minutes on each side, then cover with a lid and reduce heat to low. Continue cooking on low until chicken is cooked all the way through.
- Spoon sugar-free BBQ sauce onto each breast, then top with chopped bacon. Sprinkle cheeses on top.
- Broil in oven for 2-3 minutes until cheese is melted and bubbly. Serving size is about 1 small breast.