Chaffles are very popular in the low carb world, and for good reason! They are low in carbs, have a similar structure to bread, and the flavor combinations are endless! The name chaffle comes from the combination of cheese + waffle. A waffle made out of cheese! You can learn more about them here. This Low Carb Garlic Bread Chaffle recipe was one of my first creations and my favorite!
You can use any waffle maker to prepare chaffle, but I recommend the Dash Mini Waffle Maker to get the perfect size and shape. They are inexpensive, easy to use and take up very little space. You can find them at your local Walmart or Target.
The Low Carb Garlic Bread Chaffle can be used in a variety of different ways. Spread a little low carb pizza sauce, some cheese and your favorite toppings, and you’ve got a quick and easy pizza. Cut them into strips for bread sticks. Use them as sandwich bread for a chicken parmesan “sub.” My favorite is to spread them with butter and eat them like toast!
Tips for Making Chaffles:
- Always spray the waffle maker with cooking spray (I use avocado oil spray). This will prevent sticking.
- Never overfill the waffle maker. If using the Dash Mini Waffle Maker, you’ll need to split the recipe and cook each waffle individually (unless you have two waffle makers).
- Chaffles usually cook in 5-7 minutes, but be sure to keep an eye on them while they are cooking! They are done when they are solid, look dry and are golden brown.
- Chaffles will crisp up as they cool; they might be floppy when you take them off the waffle maker.
- Waffle makers are easiest to clean while they are still warm.
For more great recipes, check out the Low Carb & Tasty recipe index!
Low Carb Garlic Bread Chaffle
- ½ cup mozzarella cheese shredded (about 2.2 oz)
- 1 tbsp almond flour super fine
- 1 tbsp parmesan cheese grated
- 1 egg (I used Eggland's Best)
- ½ tsp garlic powder
- ¼ tsp Italian seasoning
- Preheat waffle maker.
- Combine all ingredients in small bowl.
- Spread half the mixture into prepared waffle maker. Cook 5-7 minutes until chaffle is dry and golden brown.
- Remove from waffle maker and let cool for several minutes. Repeat for second chaffle.